Jamestown Substance Abuse Prevention Task Force

Meeting Minutes

March 11, 2009

 

Present: Garrett Bucklin, Jess Bucklin, Samantha Bucklin, Sue Earley, Becca Heavey, Laura Hosley, Bruce Long, James Mastrostefano, Mariel Mastrostefano, Melissa Mastrostefano, Steph Nocon, Barbara Szepatowski, Deb Tungett, Andrea vonHohenleiten, Eric vonHohenleiten,

 

I.                   Call to Order/ Introductions – The meeting was called to order at 6:01. Introductions were made.

II.                Guests - Sam Baugh, Gary Cournoyer, Matt Rafanelli

III.             Minutes - The minutes were presented by Laura. Mariel made a motion to accept them, which Jess seconded. The motion carried unanimously.

IV.             Treasurer’s Report – Laura presented the Treasurer’s Report. Deb made a motion to accept the report, which Sue seconded. The motion carried unanimously.

V.                Old Business

A.    Student Assistance/Schools – Steph talked about Teen Institute happening in April. She has seen about 30 more kids and has been doing Project Northland. On Tuesday, April 7 is the Parent Forum. Youth Crime Watch has been presented to Kathy Almanzor. They are trying to get “bully boxes” as well as more trash cans and monitors. Kids who get into trouble and have to do community service can help with the trash. Texting and cell phone messaging was discussed and the possibility of bringing in a speaker for parents and teens. Getting information out by way of the Washington, DC trip was suggested. Melissa talked about how parents think that marijuana is like it was when they were young, which is incorrect. She talked about the need to promote the brain research.

B.     Teen Center – Deb talked about how the one year anniversary party was awesome. They didn’t make their money back. They did a workshop on skin care and self-esteem for girls last night. The next ladies night topic is healthy bodies. Jess talked to a friend about doing a painting class for her senior project for the Teen Center. There will be a dance to work off the debt for the anniversary party. Deb has 10 parent volunteers for the event. On Friday, March 27 they will be going to the Providence Bruins game; all ages and families are welcome. On March 27 is an Invisible Children movie.

C.     Juvenile Hearing Board/Tip Line – Chief Tighe said that Peter Ruggieri is all set for the ordinances. He is waiting for the Juvenile Hearing Board to get through. Barbara said that she will speak to the Chief. Fines could be directed toward related programs, Laura suggested. The tip line would cost $9 per month and the Task Force line could be taken for the police. Barbara will look into it.

D.    Legislation – Laura explained the bill proposing allowing drawing blood for those who maim or kill victims through drunk driving crashes. It hasn’t passed in 8 years. Bruce explained why. The Surgeon General will be visiting RI. Laura gave participants a schedule of his visit. Tomorrow night is the School Committee meeting in the library at Lawn. March 30 and 31 is the budget meeting. Barbara is asking for $20,000. Barbara had Justin Jobin make a poster about the community interaction.

 

VI.             New Business

A.    Tobacco Grant – On June 1 the Peruvian Band will visit the Lawn School as part of World No Tobacco Day. On March 25 there will be a kickball tournament as part of Kick Butts Day. Mariel talked about the workshop she and Deb attended as part of the Dept. of Health’s Tobacco Control Program. She said that the mission is to prevent the sales of tobacco products to teens. Little cigars are taxed differently. Mariel and Jess will check out Cumberland Farms and Xtra Mart for little cigars and prices.

B.     Funding Requests – Funding for Project Adventure was requested. Mariel made a motion to fund $50 as a scholarship. Jess seconded the motion and it passed unanimously. Laura will call and tell Deb Barone.

C.     Upcoming Events/ Trainings – The town library will be hosting a speaker about the time bank at the end of April. “Invest in Jamestown” will list people who want to do community service and who needs work done.

D.    Meeting Schedule/ Guests – The next meeting will be on April 8.

 

VII. Adjournment – The meeting was adjourned at 7:19 p.m. with a motion by Eric and a second by James. The motion carried unanimously.