Minutes

Lawn Avenue School

School Improvement Team

December 11, 2008



Attendees: Ann Zainyeh, Lisa Carlisle, Dara Chadwick, Janet LaMantia, Duval DiGasper, Nora Santamour, Kathy Almanzor, Theresa (??), Bev Rudman, Sue Pratt, Julie Kallfelz


1. SIT would like to acknowledge (through the Technology Committee) the Music Department for its wonderful Web page, which features pictures of each teacher, her subject specialty and her email address, as well as information about the department’s mission, curriculum, calendar, student accomplishments and printable practice sheets. SIT would also like to acknowledge Karen Kauffman and Gilda Codilla for their tremendous effort in making our music program a “gem.” The possibility of writing a commendation letter to the teachers on behalf of SIT was discussed.


New Business:


2. National Junior Honor Society: SIT is exploring the possibility of bringing back the National Junior Honor Society program for grades seven and eight. Requirements would be academic, civic and leadership, and criteria for membership needs to be established. Kathy Almanzor will get more information for discussion at future meetings.


3. Subcommittees: The Technology Committee is currently working on a policy concerning community members using technology, as well as on the filtering protections used on school computers. Questions such as, “Do we need more technology-driven lessons in the classroom?” and “Do we need more computers in all classrooms?” were raised. Disappointment in the virtual high school program was discussed, as was the need to make better use of networks.

School Improvement Plan: Kathy Almanzor is finishing the plan on her own.

Island Treasures: No update.


Old Business:

4. VIE update: Lisa Carlisle repaired the 3R handprints. SIT will focus on building VIE in January. A discussion of VIE and its purpose was held.


5. Grading system: Additional discussion was held on the importance of educating both students and parents on the intricacies of the standards-based grading system. It was suggested that a frequently asked questions (FAQs) section on the school Web site would be a great starting point for parents interested in learning more, as well as a resource for those who have questions about the system. It was agreed that SIT will put together a FAQs page for the site.


6: Next meeting will be held Thursday, Jan. 8, from 3:30 to 5 p.m.


Respectfully submitted,

Dara Chadwick

Recording Secretary