LAWN SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT TEAM


Thursday, October 16, 2008

3:00 pm - 4:30 pm



MINUTES


Attending: Kathy Almanzor, John Baldwin, Nora Santamour, Katie Lowell, Cynthia Cherney, Jane Wright, Julie Kallfelz, Kathleen Brown, Duval DiGasper, Nick Alfred, Sue Pratt, Ann Zainyeh and Lisa Carlisle


  1. Old Business:

    1. 3R Pledge update

      1. The 3R Pledge along with the new code of conduct is being very well received by the students and faculty.

      2. All student, faculty, administration and school committee handprints have been completed.

      3. Some SIT members created handprints and they will be added on to walls of the school.

    2. VIE

      1. The resource directory is located in the main office for teachers to use.

      2. Lisa Carlisle and Ann Zainyeh met with Deb Barone and Jenn Clark to explain the purpose of VIE. Kathy Almanzor explained VIE to the faculty. Jenn Clarke and Deb Baronet supported her and offer their support to the program. Teacher request forms can be filled out and the VIE administrators will try their best to fill the request. Two requests have been received and filled.

    3. If you could affect one change at Lawn what would it be?”

      1. Discussed suggestions written by SIT members. Topics were communication, discipline and disruptive behaviors, 5th grade writing curriculum and raising expectations.


  1. New Business:

    1. Technology subcommittee

      1. John Baldwin has agreed to chair this subcommittee. Other members will be Kathleen Brown, Duval DiGasper, Sue Pratt, Samira Hakki and Nick Alfred (If available). They will meet soon and report back to SIT at November meeting.

    2. Teambuilding

      1. Teambuilding will occur at the next faculty meeting on November 3, 2008 from 3:15 pm - 4:00 pm. Those who have confirmed are Sue Pratt, Katie Lowell, John Baldwin, Nora Santamour, Ann Zainyeh and Lisa Carlisle. Jane Wright is a possibility. An email will be sent to all SIT members asking for a confirmation for attendance.

    3. School Improvement Plan subcommittee

      1. A School Improvement Plan subcommittee will be formed to help Kathy Almanzor update the School Improvement Plan. Lisa Carlisle, Ann Zainyeh, Jane Wright and Nora Santamour will help Kathy Almanzor update the plan.

    4. Time of SIT meetings

      1. The time of SIT meetings will be changed to 3:30 – 5:00 to accommodate those teachers who are involved with after school activities.

    5. Miscellaneous

      1. Lisa Carlisle brought to the attention of SIT that the school committee is looking at the possibility of accepting students from North Kingstown into Melrose and Lawn. She suggested that all members keep abreast of the situation and attend school committee meetings.

      2. Duval DiGasper asked if the 7th and 8th grade progress reports could be more uniform. Nick Alfred will take the suggestion back to the 7th and 8th grade team.

  1. Next SIT meeting:

    1. The next meeting will be Thursday, November 13, 2008, from 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm (note new time). This meeting is in addition to the teambuilding with the faculty.


2