Lawn Avenue School
School Improvement Team
September 11, 2008
Attendees: Kathy Almanzor, Lisa Carlisle, Ann Zainyeh, Nora Santamour, John Baldwin, Duval DiGasper, Bev Rudman, Katie Lowell, Kathleen Brown, Sue Pratt and Karen Rafanelli.
1. Attendees watched the 60 minute video “The Nation’s Most Successful Schools Lessons Learned” presenter: Dr. Willard R. Daggert (2008 Model Schools Conference Presentation)
2. Kathy Almanzor explained how some of the changes were being incorporated into the classroom. Some curriculum pieces are already challenging students in the D (high thinking real life application) category. Each grade is looking to expand some additional curriculum pieces to the D category.
3. One piece that helps keeps student engaged is the use of technology; it may be additional hardware, i.e. Smartboards or programs: i.e. Blackboard. Sue Pratt will help set up a speaker for a future meeting from Salve on the use of technology in the classroom/school.
4. Kathy Almanzor suggested that the future integration of technology should be addressed when the district rewrites the strategic plan. It will be worked on this fall. No date has been set yet.
5. Lisa Carlisle, Ann Zainyeh and Kathy Almanzor will discuss the possibility of sub committees within SIT, i.e. technology, updating the School Improvement Plan, Island Treasures.
7. The 3R pledge handprint project will start next week. Free Friday for September will be September 26th from 2 pm to 2:30 pm. Teachers will be out on the playground.
6. The next SIT meeting will be held on Thursday, October 16th, 2008, from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Lawn Library. The meeting is pushed back one week in observance of Yom Kippur.